Believe it or not, your mouth is an important part of your body. And for that reason, you should make all efforts to get the best mouthwash to keep it clean and fresh always. To do that, Dentists have recommended brushing the teeth twice every day for not less than two minutes in addition to flossing at least once every day.
However, cleaning the mouth should be a continuous process. But since it is not practical to always carry toothbrush and tooth paste around, the better alternative is to have a good mouth wash handy in your bag, office restroom or personal drawer.
Mouth wash are important because they help you tackle sour breath, and rinse off food remnants accumulated after every meal regardless of the setting. They also serve as complements to brushing and flossing.
Definition: a mouthwash is usually an antiseptic liquid preparation used in cleaning the mouth and teeth; it also serves breath freshening purpose. A mouthwash can be gargled, held passively or bubbled in the mouth. It has benefits such as:
- Mouthwash reduce microbial actions in the mouth that could lead to bad breath
- Some mouthwash contain properties that serve as analgesic for pain relief; anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal actions in the mouth
- They can also temporarily control/reduce bad breath and the leave a pleasant taste in the mouth
- Also, when you rinse the mouth with a mouthwash after brushing, it rinses out the remaining fluoride still in the mouth. This reduces the re-mineralization and anti-bacterial effects fluoride cause to the mouth such as the accumulation of spit.
- And most importantly, mouth wash helps your mouth remain healthy and fights against the occurrence of gum diseases such as gingivitis.
- Mouthwash is good for people with limited dexterity or people with orthodontic works like braces, dental implants, etc.
Having enumerated the importance of mouthwash, this article goes further to review five mouthwash products to give you insights on the suitable mouthwash to keep your gums and teeth sparkling and healthy. Note also that most mouthwash brands feature anti-plaque, desensitizing, whitening or gingivitis control properties. And in this review we shall be breaking them all down for you.
Top Five Best Mouthwash Reviews Consumer Reports
1. TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated Dentist Recommended MouthwashIf you suffer from persistent bad breath, then this product which is my best mouthwash for bad breath is just right for you. TheraBreath is formulated with oxygenating agents that targets bad breath causing bacteria living under your tongue and deep down at the back of your throat.
Unlike some mouthwash that leaves a burning sensation on your mouth after brushing, TheraBreath is alcohol free and as such it doesn’t sting, tingle or burn your mouth. It is also free of perfumes, dyes, detergents, CPC, triclosan, artificial flavors, dyes, detergents, sulfates and other harsh additives that can damage the mouth, cause tooth sensitivity and enamel erosion.
Whether it’s a taste of garlic, tobacco, coffee or a persistent bad breath, TheraBreath is trusted to last up to 12 hours after use (recommended twice in day). It also an Amazon choice product with raving reviews from customers and a high rating.
Its Natural Active ingredients include:
Purified Water, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Benzoate, Essential Oil of Peppermint, and Sodium Hydroxide.
How to use it: rinse the mouth for one minute with a capful of this active mouth wash and repeat same the next 8-12 hours.
It is budget friendly as it comes with three bottles for the price of one. Also, contains no alcohol or harsh ingredients that may cause burning sensation in your mouth. However, it has phlegm-like taste that lingers in the back of your throat; so much cannot be said then of its aftertaste. But still, using this product twice daily gives fast and noticeable teeth whitening results in days.
Active ingredients include: Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Citrate, Flavor, Sodium Saccharin, and Citric Acid
Also note: It is not recommended for children below 12 years neither is it advisable to swallow.
- Heart disease
- Osteoporosis and more
However, it is non-burning, non-irritating and non-staining and suitable for adults with sensitive mouth. Made with a fluoride formula that helps to strengthen teeth of the aging adult. It has a Ph-balance that provides a water fresh feeling in the tongue after washing. Furthermore, it doesn’t contain alcohol, sulfate or ingredients that cause burn and irritation to the mouth. This is just the best mouth to buy as a present for your aging parents.
Having a mouthwash can never do you wrong. More so, they are different products which offer specific and generic options. If your purpose is teeth whitening, enamel strengthening or reducing bad breath, then one of the product reviewed above can help you achieve your aim.